Atomic Defense's standalone NIJ III AR-15 and AK-47 Bulletproof Armor is a hard-body security solution capable of withstanding rifle rounds. These ceramic body armor plates feature additional PEAD™ support for additional strength against various rifle calibers from guns like the AK-47 or AR-15.
- INDUSTRY-LEADING FEATURES: Our level III+ (3+) plate is superior to the competitors' level III+ (3+). It weighs half as much as our competitors' level III+ (3+) AR armor. All while being able to absorb impact shrapnel, lower cost, and stop all of the most common assault rifles.
- BALLISTIC RESISTANCE: Our NIJ level III plates are tested to stop 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm FMJ lead core and hollow point rifle ammunition from common rifles like the AK-47 and AR-15. The plates also protect against 9mm, 10mm, .45cal, .40cal, .380, .38 Special, and lesser calibers.
- TESTING PROCEDURE: Our testers go above and beyond the NIJ requirement for ballistic resistance by firing multiple 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm FMJ lead core and hollow point rounds as well as 7.62x51mm/.308. All our III+ and III designations highlight that our plates are tested above and beyond the NIJ requirement.
- CERTIFICATION: Each plate comes with a QR code label on its certification sheet. It will show tested ammunition, angles, back-face deformation, distances, and more. Independent Testing Certification
- ERGONOMIC: Curved to match your body shape. The real ergonomic cut allows full movement and action. This plate allows for easy shouldering of a weapon, and unobstructed aiming of a pistol.
- LEGAL TRAVEL: TSA & airplane safe. It has certified NIJ level 3 stand-alone ceramic protection with PEAD™ backing (better than IIIA (3A)) that can be used during airline travel too.
- NIJ III RATED: Complies with NIJ Level III under standard 0101.06. Blocks and stops various sniper, pistol, assault rifles, and airgun rounds. The best thing to have in a life or death situation. Two plate purchase is recommended for vests and clothing to cover both the front and back areas.
- BETTER THAN IIIA (3) & KEVLAR: Stops various AR-15 with 5.56 & AK-47 with 7.62 & more, see description. It also provides protection against knives and other melee weapons. Military-grade PEAD™ and ceramic mil-spec plating. Tried and tested to stop multiple rounds from various weapons.
- HALF THE WEIGHT: Our plates weigh less than half as much as standard AR steel body armor plates with ours weighing in around 5-6 pounds compared to AR steel at nearly 10 pounds.
- SAFER: Other plates on the market force shrapnel at and around the wearer when hit with a bullet. Our plates absorb bullets and shrapnel at you for increased safety.
- LOW-VISIBILITY: Fabrics and paints that enable greater stealth in dark environments.
- BUILT WITH: Fire, water, and dust-resistant materials.
- CUT: ESAPI (Mil-spec)
- WEIGHT (10"x12"): 5.1 pounds / 2.3 kg
- WEIGHT (11"x14"): 6.2 pounds / 2.8 kg
- MATERIAL: Military-grade ceramic and PEAD™ (polyethylene)
- SIZES: Two sizes - 10x12x0.9 in (25x30x2.3 cm) or 11x14x0.9 in (27x35x2.3 cm)
- COMPLIES WITH: NIJ level III (3) under standard 0101.06, VPAM PM 7/8, TR SK3/PM7/PM6, HOSDB HG3, RF1, and SG3, GOST Class 3/4, GOST BR4, SAPI/ISAPI.
In the Box:
- NIJ level III PE ballistic plate (Equal to commercial III+ plates)
How Is This Ballistic Plate Different From the Competition?
Our ballistic plates provide industry-leading protection and mobility. While most manufacturers stop testing at the NIJ requirement, we test plates to outperform the NIJ's standards by testing them against multiple 7.62mm FMJ, .357 SIG, .44 Magnum, 9mm, .40 S&W, and other common calibers. The compact design and ergonomic shape give you the mobility to reach safety in life-or-death situations.
Is this a Level 3 Standalone Plate or ICW Plate?
Level 3 Standalone. This means that it can stop up to 5.56x45 FMJ, 9mm, .44 Magnum, 7.62x39 FMJ, etc. by itself, without extra armor needing to be placed behind it.
What Does NIJ Level III Mean?
The National Institute of Justice (NIJ) sets precise standards for bulletproof armor's performance. Body armor plates fall into one of five categories depending on the types of rounds they can stop and the speed they travel. While Levels IIA, II, and IIA describe soft body armor, Level III is the first type of hard body armor and the second-highest overall.
In order to achieve Level III under NIJ standard 0101.06 for Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor, a plate must stop a 7.62 NATO at a depth no greater than 44 mm. These bullets travel between 2,750 fps and 2,810 fps. The plate must be in a condition state at the time of the test, rather than brand new.
At Atomic Defense, our tests go beyond the requirements for NIJ Level III. We fire numerous qualifying rounds into each plate we test to verify how many it can withstand before failing. Our NIJ III AR-15 and AK-47 Bulletproof Armor will protect you through multiple hits, making it capable of saving your life under rifle fire.
Why Ceramic Body Armor Plates From Atomic Defense?
Ceramic body armor is some of the strongest available, popularizing it among police and military forces. The lightweight bulletproof material withstands rifle bullets as reliably as steel. You can insert armor plates into a carrier vest's front and back pockets and remove or change them for your needs. Armor plates also fit well in purses and other personal bags.
At Atomic Defense, we improve ceramic body armor by augmenting it with PE plastic. The combination of MIL-SPEC ceramic and PE creates armor plating that lasts through multiple shots.
How Do I Choose the Right Carrier for My Plate?
You can match your NIJ III AR-15 and AK-47 Bulletproof Armor with a plate carrier vest from Atomic Defense. Keep in mind that we carry two vest sizes for our two plate sizes. These plates fit with 10x12 carriers. A customer representative can help you understand our size options and more, so contact us online before you order.
Great option, great protection, great company
I ordered this plate to insert in my son's backpack. The sales rep was super helpful with recommendations on the type of backpack I needed with extra compartments for this shield, and was also more than willing to help me with sizing. The product is great and so is the company. Thanks for keeping my kids safe in a world of madness.
Hi Mary - Plates look exactly as expected ... and complimentary carrier is much appreciated. Will highly recommend. Thanks, David
great armour at a good price
I looked at both types of armour type 2 and 3. I found alot of the 2 that was priced similarly to the NIJ III armour. So this is clearly priced well for this better version of the armour that will cover all the way to up to AR15 rounds.
I feel that this is a good shield. Fits right in the pouch that is was designed for. I feel safer having this shield. I am curious how you get out on your free teacher list. I saw on your site that you donate one to a teacher when someone buys one. I am a special education teacher and would like to be put on that list if possible. I thank you.
Hope she never has to use it, but good to have